Logo courtesy of Nice Kern Design Studio @nicekern
** POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE **
Terms & Conditions:
1. Eligibility: This Contest is open only to those who sign up at http://thestartupshowdown within the Contest Application Period, and who are 18 years old or older as of the date of entry. Further, the Contest is only open to entrants who (1) are a business offering services or products that is owned solely by one or more individuals identifying as female and who have one or more biological, adopted, or foster children; (2) have been Operating (as defined in para. 4 below) the business that is submitted for the Contest for a period of less than one year prior to the beginning of the Contest Period specified in paragraph 3 below; (3) have active Facebook and Instagram accounts that actively promote the business during the Contest Period; and (4) are legal residents of Maplewood, New Jersey, South Orange, New Jersey, and contiguous towns to Maplewood and/or South Orange. This Contest is void where prohibited by law. Employees of any Primary Sponsor of the Contest, their affiliates, and subsidiaries, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Contest. No purchase is necessary to participate in the Contest. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. The Primary Sponsors of the Campaign are: Adamson Ramsey Homes and the General Store Cooperative.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of the Primary Sponsors of the Contest as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Contest.
3. Contest Period: The Contest Period runs from the date you apply until the the Contest Winner has completed all steps in accepting her prize package as set forth in para. 9.
4. Contest Application Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on February 26, 2020 and ending at 11:59pm Eastern Time on March 12, 2020. All online entries must be received by 11:59 pm Eastern Time, March 12, 2020. To be eligible for this Contest, you must have been Operating the business for less than one year prior to March 12, 2020. For the purposes of this Contest, Operating means, and includes but is not limited to: (i) you have announced to the public that you are open for business, (ii) you have sold your product or service to customers, and/or (iii) you have tried to sell your product or service to customers.
5. How to Enter: The Contest must be entered during the Contest Application Period by submitting an entry using the online form provided at http://thestartupshowdown.com. The entry must fulfill all Contest requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of the Primary Sponsors. You may enter only once. You must provide the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of the Primary Sponsors.
6. Selection of the 8 Finalists: Eight (8) Finalists will be chosen by the Primary Sponsors. Finalists will be notified by telephone and/or email by March 15, 2020. None of the Primary Sponsors shall have any liability for The Finalist’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for The Finalist’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If any of the Finalists cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to respond within three (3) days from the time notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, her position as a Finalist may be forfeited and an alternate Finalist selected. Acceptance of role of Finalist constitutes permission for the Primary Sponsors to use Finalists’ name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
7. Selection of The Winner: The Winner will be selected by community vote under the supervision of the Primary Sponsors. Finalists will be expected to solicit votes for themselves through social media, email, word of mouth, on their websites. Winner will be notified by telephone and/or email within five (5) days following selection of Winner. None of the Primary Sponsors shall have any liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within three (3) days from the time award notification was sent, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Contest is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER AT THE PRIMARY SPONSORS’ SOLE DISCRETION WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Prize Package: The Winner of the Contest (the “Winner”) will receive a prize package consisting of the following:
- Startup coaching from Deborah Engel (@debengel77)
- Brand storytelling from Patricia Sanchez, Nice Kern Design Studio (@nicekern)
- Coworking membership at Work and Play (@workandplaynj)
- Small Biz legal advice from Cindy Grossman (@cgrossman)
- Merchandise consult and discount from AdLipps Creative (@adlippscreative)
- Creative business modeling from KJT Coaching (@kjtcoaching)
- Marketing consult and Website development from Dani Geraci (@danigeracimarketing)
- PR/Media consult from Nubia DuVall Wilson, Cielo Consulting (@CieloConsulting)
- Social Media Consulting from Hannah Rose Social Consulting (@hannah_rose_social_consulting)
- Online store presence from General Store Cooperative (@somageneralstore)
- Headshot/lifestyle photography from Jamie Bloom Meier (@livelovelens)
- 1 Year Membership into MOBG – Mom Owned Business Group (#somamobg)
- 1 Year Membership into Fierce Females (@fierce_females_us)
- 1 Year Membership into SOMA Entrepreneurs of Color (if applicable) (@soma_eoc)
- 1 Year Membership into Two Town Kids Business Alliance (if applicable) (@twotownkids)
- 3 Months of Laundry Concierge Service from Lotus Laundry, Nakeicha Adams-Wilson (@lotuslaundrynwk)
- Mompreneur Mentors – Ongoing support from our Startup Advisory Group – 2019 Winner, Rebecca Lock (@kidcaboo), Alissa Gardenhire (@bestinclasssoma), Kari Capone (@karicaponedesign), Kimaya Salaskar (@kimayakama)
Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by the Primary Sponsors. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted except at the discretion of the Primary Sponsors. The prize is non-transferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for the Primary Sponsors to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
9. Acceptance of Prize Package: Winner agrees to accept each piece of the prize package set forth in para. 8, meaning she must meet with each business offering a part of the prize package and accept the prize being offered. For example, she agrees to receive startup coaching from Deborah Engel, have her headshot take by Jamie Bloom Meier, etc. She can not opt out of any portion of the prize package unless agreed to in writing by the Primary Sponsors. She also agrees to allow Primary Sponsors or their designees to document acceptance of Prizes by video, photography, or other means.
10. Video and Photo Documentation of Contest: By applying for this Contest, you agree to photo and video documentation of you and/or your business by Primary Sponsors or their designees during the Contest Period. You hereby agree to assign all intellectual property rights in such photo or video documentation to the Primary Sponsors. You hereby grant the Sponsors a non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use your image, business name, trademarks and copyrights associated with or owned by you or your business for purposes of promoting the Contest, including for purposes of media releases and other promotion of the Contest before, during, and after the Contest.
11. Social Media Sharing: From time to time throughout the Contest Period, Primary Sponsors will ask you to share specific graphics and images on your social media accounts. By applying for the Contest, you agree to share these social media graphics when asked by Primary Sponsors.
12. Rights Granted by You: By submitting this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that the Primary Sponsors, anyone acting on behalf of the Primary Sponsors, and the Primary Sponsor’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Contest, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes, without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. By entering this content, You represent and warrant that your entry is an original work of authorship, and does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If your entry infringes upon the intellectual property right of another, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of the Primary Sponsors. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, You shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle against such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Primary Sponsors from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense, which any Primary Sponsor may incur, suffer, or be required to pay arising out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.
13. Terms & Conditions: the Primary Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond the Primary Sponsor’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Contest. In such case, the Primary Sponsors may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by the Primary Sponsors. The Primary Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. The Primary Sponsors in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Contest, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Contest rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, the Primary Sponsors reserve the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
14. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless all Contest Sponsors and their subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the promotion or the processing of entries.
15. Disputes: THIS Contest IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF the United States and the State of New Jersey, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Contest, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in [your state/province] having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., costs associated with entering this Contest). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
17. The Campaign hosted by the Primary Sponsors is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook or Instagram.
18. By checking on the application page, You, the Contestant, have affirmatively reviewed, accepted, and agreed to all of the Official Rules.