A Montrose beauty. Grand and gloriously restored and updated with exquisite care and attention. Every detail of this home’s renovation and maintenance has been thoughtfully considered and it shows!
The perfect marriage of old world charm, modern style and luxurious comforts. Warm and contemporary, expansive and comforting. There’s space for everyone! Spacious, beautifully appointed with high end design & construction. When you’re not lounging in the sun-bathed family room with its radiant floors and vaulted ceiling, you’ll surely be in the designer kitchen, enjoying 1 of 2 porches, or escaping to the sumptuous master shower! The yard is as impressive as the home! Larger than most, with luscious and fruitful (literally – apple & cherry trees!) landscaping, most inviting hammock, organic garden, and no wires! Don’t miss this one!
WHAT DO THE OWNERS HAVE TO SAY?
Dear Future Homeowners,
We were drawn to Montrose Park because of its garden-like setting, grand trees, and gaslights. Our property is no exception. Our home looks largely the same as it did in the historical pictures. The previous owners focused the landscaping on perennials that flower in Spring and early Summer. We added flowers that bloom through November and fruit trees, including apples and recently a cherry tree. All summer long we have cut flowers and take bouquets to our friends. We grow vegetables, including tomatoes, basil, peppers, lettuces, arugula, and zucchini. The fruit on the apple trees look bountiful this year, and we are sad not to be able to partake of the bounty but hope you will. We have a pollinator garden that attracts butterflies and feeds the monarchs. Our gardens and grass are maintained without pesticides or herbicides to provide a safe play area for children and pets, as well as organic produce. We also have the beautiful South Mountain Reservation that offers recreational opportunities. We often walk the paved paths, hike the marked trails, and walk or jog at the Reservoir.
The neighbors made us feel welcome immediately. Parties happen frequently and are inclusive. Social gatherings are truly integrated, which is what we were seeking in a community. We have met so many people who give freely of their time and energy to help those who might not be as fortunate as they are, such as helping all kids attend prom, or for those food insecure to have food during the weekends, or to provide fresh vegetables to pantries from grown naturally on the Elks Club front lawn, or to save the environment for our kids by reducing plastic use, or to create landscaping in local spaces for native fauna.
249 Turrell Avenue is the perfect entertaining home. With many seating areas and great outdoor spaces, you can have intimate dinners or invite large crowds. We’ve hosted large parties, family Thanksgivings, Night of 100 Dinners for the school district, and even NYC style home concerts for musicians. We hired an architect who specialized in restoration and returned much of the house to its original form, while still updated it for modern living.
Many of the improvements may not be readily visible to visitors. Our daughter loves sprawling on the radiant floors in the family room and kitchen. You don’t see overhead electrical while sitting on the patio because we buried the electrical wires. We renovated the driveway to make it fully permeable to reduce water runoff and insulated the home to make it comfortable while reducing heating costs.
This house is full of happy memories. It has been our dream home and hope it is for you as well!
The Current Homeowners
- Living room rewired outlets.
- New external storm windows entire front façade of home except dining room.
- Custom internal storm windows front wall of dining room.
- New windows side of dining room.
- New window (front) and outside door (back) to first floor side porch.
- Installed automatic timed lights/outlet for security to side porch, master bedroom and front porch.
- Both patios also have automatic timed security light controls for wall sconces.
- Rehabbed all first floor living room wooden windows with new brass or bronze chain and freeing up top and bottom windows. All other windows also rehabbed. Cleaned and reinstalled original hardware.
- New hardwood quartersawn floor in dining room.
- Period lighting throughout home original, rehabbed from similar period homes, Rejuvenation, Restoration Hardware, Hudson Valley Lighting or Schoolhouse Electric Lighting design stores.
- Rehabbed all second-floor windows with new brass or bronze chain; cleaned and replaced all original hardware.
- Two whole house insulation rehabs including full roof and all first, second and third floor walls. Heating/cooling costs markedly reduced year round.
- Water remediation in basement. Soil pitching, all house drains moving water away from home, sump pit and sump pump with French drains on front wall (entire house width, driveway side) leading to full dry basement since 2012.
- House renovation down to studs in family room, powder room, kitchen, master bedroom, master bath, and 2nd floor main bath. Included new electric panels for whole home with all electric sockets throughout entire home updated, including hook up for generator to fully run house (heat, AC, fridge, sump pump and electric sockets, lights, kitchen). Generator included with sale.
- Plumbing redone throughout home including whole house filter and water softener. System maintained with filter changes every 3-6 months. Reverse osmosis triple-filter system under kitchen sink for additional filtration including drinking water tap and fridge ice water/ice dispenser. Reverse osmosis filters changed per manufacturers’ recommended schedule.
- House is heated with traditional gas furnace for non-drying steam heat for all areas except kitchen, family room and master bath which are heated with energy-efficient hot water radiant heating all controlled with individual thermostats. Radiant coils are embedded in cement under family room tile floor and master bath marble floor while kitchen floor is quartersawn hardwood to maximize heating efficiency. 2nd floor main bath has electric radiant heating.
- Family room, kitchen, master bedroom and 2nd floor front bedroom have Mitsubishi Slim Line split AC units for energy efficient and quiet cooling as well as efficient heating as auxiliary source.
- All cabinetry in kitchen, master bath, 2nd floor main bath and powder room are custom natural cherry.
- Master bathroom tile are hand cut subway tile. 2nd floor main bath has custom glazed accent tile and hand cut subway tile. Counters and backsplash in kitchen, powder room, master bath, and 2nd floor main bath are either Statuarietto or Carrara marble. Built in seat in master shower is Carrara marble. Floor tiles in master bath and 2nd floor main bath are Carrara marble.
- Trim in sections of the home that we renovated were custom made to match original trim of the home.
- Windows that were installed are Marvin®.
- New quiet, energy-efficient fans installed in family room, master bedroom, 2nd floor bedroom, and first floor side porch.
- House wired for 4 separate pairs of stereo speakers on both patios, family room and kitchen. Master bath, master bedroom, 2nd floor bedroom and bath all have stereo speakers mounted in ceiling.
- All smoke detectors upgraded to sealed units with dual power source which communicate from first to third floor.
- Garage has electrical outlets as well as automatic door opener on one side with outside keypad and dual car remotes.
- Patios and walkways paved with blue stone. Driveway is environmentally friendly, fully permeable gravel topped with river rock.
- Electrical wires buried so no overhead wires enter home.
- Gardens and lawn are maintained herbicide free and pesticide free.
- Roof is slate and fully maintained by AA Marten Roofing, specialists in slate roofs. All missing or broken slate tiles replaced. Roof fully restored with new flashing for three dormers, all vent pipes and chimney which was recapped after stainless steel liner installed for both gas furnaces and gas water heater. All three dormer roofs fully replaced 2017.